CenturyLink Foundation Competitive Technology Mini-Grant Program
Administered by the Iowa Association of School Boards (IASB)
Introduction and Goal:
The Iowa Association of School Boards has received $45,000 from the Century Link Foundation to be awarded to Iowa educators demonstrating innovative classroom uses of technology. The goal of the mini-grant program is to provide support to educators who utilize technological tools to deliver instruction based upon rigorous curriculum expectations and increase the development of higher order thinking skills for all students.
The purpose of the competitive mini-grant program is to:
- improve student learning through the innovative use of technology;
- enhance the development of students’ higher order thinking and problem solving skills;
- increase educators’ collaborative study of their content, practice, and student effects;
- increase educators’ understanding of best practices related to integration of technology for improving student learning.
All Iowa K-12 public and private school districts located within a Century Link service area (with documented support from the building principal, the superintendent, and the school board president) are eligible to apply. This is intended to include teachers, principals, and district level administrators.
Applicants will write and submit a full application. These applications will be read and judged by a statewide committee made up of representatives of K-12 educators, technology experts and business leaders. This panel will identify applications that best meet the criteria for the mini-grant program. Final decisions will be made by IASB. Century Link and IASB will notify awardees by May 15, 2013. The total grants awarded will not exceed $45,000. Individual grants will not exceed $5,000. Awards will be determined by the degree to which they correspond with the goal and purpose of the program as well as whether the applicant district is within a Century Link service area (see website for list of school districts in Century Link service areas) rather than any specific number of grants.
- Application materials will be posted online for Iowa public school districts on March 15, 2013.
- The full grant proposal must be submitted by April 30, 2013. DEADLINE EXTENDED to May 7, 2013.
- A blue-ribbon panel of Iowa stakeholders will be convened on or before May 15, 2013 to provide input on grant awards.
- Recipients will be notified of awards by May 15, 2013.
- Awards will be presented at IASB during a celebratory luncheon on Friday, May 31, 2013
- Final project evaluations will be due no later than May 31, 2014.
A mid-year report must be submitted no later than December 20, 2013 and an end-of-year final report must be submitted no later than May 31, 2014.
Funds will be distributed at the celebratory luncheon on May 31, 2013. If applicant cannot attend, funds will be distributed by arrangement.
Grants are to be used by teachers to benefit the students in their classrooms.
CenturyLink service is neither required nor considered in review of applications.